Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Assassination of Major General Prami Kulathunge
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:26 am 
Assassination of Major General Prami Kulathunge

"Major General Parami Kulatunge gave leadership to massive military operations against LTTE, with leaders such as the late Gen. Denzil Kobbekaduwa and General Vijaya Wimalaratne. He defeated the enemy courageously during the Wadamarachchi, Valampoori, Yal Devi and Jaya Sikuru operations. He was a military leader, who took the forefront against operations unleashed by the LTTE. Major General Kulatunge was a commanding officer of Jaffna and during that period he became popular among Jaffna civilians. He rendered a priceless service to uplift civilian life in Jaffna. As such, the army said he had been a target of the LTTE." - ITN

@ Agencies / 26 June 2006

Army Deputy Chief of Staff Major-General Parami Kulatunga was murdered today by a suspected Tamil Tiger suicide bomber, who crashed his motorbike into an army convoy near the capital, Colombo.


The blast tore apart the car in which Major General Prami Kulathunge, was travelling. The car was taking him to work in Colombo, said a military spokesman, Brigadier Prasad Samarasinghe. The attack took place near Kulatunga's home in Pannipitiya, nine miles, or 15 kilometers, southeast of Colombo's city center. The explosion and subsequent fire left only a pile of ashes remaining from the general's Peugeot.

The blast also killed the general's driver, a security guard and a civilian passer-by, the military said. Five other bystanders were wounded and admitted to a hospital.


Police later said they found the bomber's head on a rooftop.

Police special taskforce officers later said the bomber was able to ride parallel to Kulatunga's convoy for more than a kilometre (half a mile) before ramming the general's car when it stopped in traffic at a bridge where the two-lane highway narrows as it passed over a culvert.

Several other vehicles, including a minivan and a large bus, sat empty where they had been caught in the blast.


Both the government and the army blamed the Tamil Tigers, but a rebel spokesman, Seebaratanam Puleedevan, told the BBC: "We have no involvement ... the Sri Lankan army is always very quick to blame [the Tigers]."

A pro-rebel website, tamilnet.com, reported the suicide strike without comment, but appeared to hint that the attack was in retaliation for a recent military operation in northern Sri Lanka which sought to target the suspected headquarters of the Tamil Tigers' supremo, Vellupillai Prabhakaran.

Gen Kulathunge, 55, the country's third highest-ranking army officer, was a veteran of the long civil war between minority Tamils and majority Sinhalas. He had been an army commander in the rebel-dominated north until last December, and was due to retire in two months.

His assassination was the second strike at the top echelons of the Sri Lanka army in Colombo in barely two months. On April 25, a suicide bomber disguised as a pregnant woman blew herself up at army headquarters, seriously injuring Lieutenant-General Sarath Fonseka, who is currently receiving medical treatment in Singapore.

However, even after the latest attack, Colombo-based analysts insisted that in the immediate future "indefinite low-intensity conflict" was more likely than a return to full-scale war.

"Both sides have been offered opportunities to go to war, which they have not taken," said Jehan Perera of the National Peace Council of Sri Lanka.

"Besides retaliation for government attacks, the motive of Monday's attack may be to demonstrate to the government that the LTTE [Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam] can take the violence to any part of the country, including the capital."

Hospital received warning before attack: Lankan Police

@ PTI / 26 June 2006

Colombo: Sri Lanka's National Hospital received an anonymous telephone call warning that there would be a big attack an hour before the fatal attack on a top Army general, police said today.

A caller who spoke in faulty Sinhalese told the staff there would be extra work for them and they should expect a "superior job" to carry out, they said.

The hospital authorities alerted the police as well as the Army soon after the telephone call was received.

A suspected Tamil Tiger suicide bomber today rammed an explosive laden motorcyle into the car of Major General Parami Kulatunga killing him along with three others on the outskirts of the capital.

The government blamed the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) for the bombing. The Tigers are known for suicide bombings but have not warned of their attacks in the past.

Lt Gen Parami Kulatunge’s Funeral On Wednesday (28)

2006-06-26 09:11:49
@ SL Army


MAJOR GENERAL PARAMI KULATUNGE RSP USP USAWC, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Army is no more. He was the latest Senior Officer of the Armed Forces to fall prey to an LTTE (Tamil Tigers) suicide bomber Monday (26) morning at about 7.50 a.m. The suicide bomber’s explosive-laden motorbike rammed into the official vehicle of Major General Kulatunge near Pannipitiya junction, as it was proceeding towards Colombo during the morning rush hour.

LTTE’s endless thirst for blood saw three more Army personnel and a civilian were also killed in the blast that completely gutted Major General Kulatunge’s car, his back-up vehicle and damaged a few other moving vehicles on the road. At least, eight others injured in the powerful explosion were admitted to hospitals.

Major General Kulatunge (55) fondly addressed as “Parami” among his Senior Officers and associates is the third most Senior Officer in the Army and was holding the office of the Deputy Chief of Staff at the time he was slain by LTTE terrorists. His slaying occurred this morning (26) exactly two months after a Tamil Tiger woman suicide bomber failed to decimate Army Commander Lt General Sarath Fonseka inside the Army Headquarters.

Major General P.S.B. Kulatunge joined the Sri Lanka Army as an Officer Cadet on 20th July 1971. After his initial military training, he was commissioned to the Gemunu Watch as a Second Lieutenant on 14th October 1972.

During his 34-year long military career, Major General Kulatunge has held a number of prestigious appointments including those of the Director General General Staff, Commander-Security Forces, Wanni and Deputy Commandant Kotalawala Defence Academy.

Born to a reputed family in Kandy, Parami Kulatunge completed his education at Trinity College, Kandy. He was enlisted to the Army on 20th July 1971, commissioned as the 2nd Lieutenant and subsequently posted to the 1st Battalion, the Gemunu Watch on 14.10.1972.

This budding Officer received his due promotions as a Lieutenant on 24th July 1974 and a Captain on 24th July 1977 respectively before he was promoted to the field rank of Major on 1st June 1982.

He served a number of Staff Officer, General Staff Officer, Colonel General Staff, Brigade Command and Deputy General Officer Commanding appointments.

Major Parami Kulatunge served as the Staff Officer I (Intelligence) Operation Headquarters, Ministry of Defence (MoD) from 24.03.1989 until he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel on 01.10.1989. He continued his service at the MoD up to 01.10.1990.

Lieutenant Colonel Kulatunge was appointed the General Staff Officer (GSO) I of the 23 Brigade on 06.01.1990. He commanded the 6th Battalion Gemunu Watch from 20.07.1990 until he was promoted to the rank of Colonel on 27.06 1993.

Colonel Parami Kulatunge then took over as the Colonel (General Staff) Headquarters 2 Division on 27.06.1993. From 31.11.1993, he was the Deputy Commandant of Sir John Kotalawala Defence Academy at Ratmalana before he was appointed the Assistant Military Secretary on 10.06.1994.

After he was elevated to the rank of Brigadier on 01.12.1994, he took over the command of 22 Brigade Trincomalee and served there for two years until he became the Director Training Army Headquarters on 28.12. 1996.

Brigadier Parami Kulatunge was the Deputy General Officer Commanding for 56 Division, Mirusuvil, and 54 Division, Elephant Pass, between 01.10.1997 and 29.01.1998. After a seven-month tenure, as the Officiating Director General General Staff at Army Headquarters from 15.04.1999, he went to 52 Division, Varani on 28.11. 1999 after assuming duties as the General Officer Commanding.

He was promoted to the rank of Major General on 01.05.2000 in recognition of his illustrious career and entrusted duties as General Officer Commanding in 11 Division in Panagoda until October 2001.

On 06.09.2003, Major General Kulatunge was appointed the Director General General Staff, Army Headquarters where he served until 10.08. 2004.

He became the Commander, Security Forces Headquarters, Wanni on 10.08.2004 and served there until 21.12.2005. He had also been the Colonel of the Regiment, Gemunu Watch from 17.07.2003 until the time of his tragic demise.

On 06.12.2005 he was appointed the Deputy Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Army, in which capacity he had been serving until the suicide bomber struck him.

To his credit, he has followed International Military Education & Training Program in the US and several other courses including the Senior Command Course (India), Advanced Intelligence Course (Singapore), and the Intelligence Staff Officers’ Course (India) and a few other short courses. Apart from that he has also represented Sri Lanka in a number of international symposiums, including the Special Operations conference in the US, South Asia Peace Keeping Operations Seminar in Bangladesh, Pacific Armies Management seminar in Malaysia, Senior Military Officers’ Seminar in UK and UN Medal Awarding Parade in Haiti.

Several gallantry medals and decorations including Ranasura Padakkama (RSP), Riviresa campaign medal, Poorna Bhumi Padakkama, North & East operational medals, Desha Puthra medal and a few other medals were awarded to him in appreciation of his dedication and commitment to the service.

Major General Parami Kulatunge was posthumously promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General effective from today (26).
His funeral with full military honours will take place on Wednesday (28) at Colombo general cemetery.


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: