Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post subject: 60 dead in Sri Lanka smash
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:55 pm 
60 dead in Sri Lanka smash

CNN / 27 APR 2005

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka -- A fiery train-bus accident in Sri Lanka has killed at least 60 people and injured 30 others, police say.

The collision was so violent, according to authorities, that the train split the bus in half, setting it on fire.

The accident occurred at 8:35 a.m. (2:35 a.m. GMT) Wednesday about 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of the capital, Colombo, along the Colombo-Kandy rail line.

A passenger bus apparently ignored warning signs and tried to cross the railroad track as the train approached, K. A. Premasiri of the railway department told The Associated Press.

"They are still bringing in the injured. There are more than 40 injured in the hospital so far," Nalika Bandara, a healthcare officer at Kurunegala government hospital near the crash site, said according to a Reuters news service report.

The train was bound for the temple city of Kandy from capital Colombo when it crashed near the town of Alawwwa.

The bus was apparently trying to make its way past the barriers and cross the tracks when it was hit by the train, Gunapala Vitanage, chief train controller in Colombo, told Reuters.

Barriers at level-crossings in Sri Lanka stop road traffic on one lane and the opposite lane stays open, allowing many motorists to wind their way around them.

The federal government said it was saddened by the tragedy.

"We have immediately informed services to help the victims, and have sent a team to the location as well to see what can be done," Transport Minister Felix Perera told local television station Sirasa TV.

"Right now what we can do is not to think of the train but to think of the lives of the injured passengers and the dead. Now we are concentrating on what can be done to help the victims."

The loss-making, state-run Sri Lanka Railways operates an antiquated network built largely during British colonial rule and has seen little investment since the island gained independence in 1948.

The country's road and rail systems, like most of the rest of its infrastructure, were further neglected during two decades of civil war since the early 1980s when Tamil Tiger rebels launched a revolt for a separate ethnic homeland.

Post subject: Sri Lanka rail crash 'kills 35'
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:10 am 
@ BBC Sinhala

Sri Lanka rail crash 'kills 35'

A passenger train has slammed into a packed bus on a closed level crossing in Sri Lanka, leaving 35 people dead and 33 injured, hospital sources said.

The crash happened near the town of Polgahawela, 80km (50 miles) north-east of Colombo.

Efforts to pull survivors from the bus were hampered by a blaze which broke out on impact. Nobody aboard the train is believed to have been hurt.

The bus driver and conductor, who were both hurt, have been arrested.

It was alleged the driver went on to the tracks via the closed level crossing.

After the first impact, the bus spun around and hit the train again
Train driver HA Sirisena

President Chandrika Kumaratunga said she was shocked and saddened over the tragedy.

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapakse, who visited the scene, told BBC Sinhala service correspondent Elmo Fernando he would be recommending tough measures to discipline private bus drivers who broke the rules.

The crash happened at 0830 (0230 GMT) on the main line between the capital and the central hill city of Kandy.

The train was travelling from Colombo to Kandy and the bus from Dambulla, north of Kandy, to the capital.

Worst crash

The driver of the train, HA Sirisena, told Reuters: "The signal was green and the level-crossing gates were closed.

"Then I saw the bus trying to cross... and the next thing I know was the engine hitting the rear of the bus."

"After the first impact, the bus spun around and hit the train again. I have been in this job for 41 years and this is the first time something like this has happened."

The bus was dragged about 500 metres down the track, police said.

One bus passenger, Priyalatha Imbulgoda, said: "I was sitting at the very back of the bus. I saw flames coming from the front. There was little time to do anything.

"Some neighbours from my village were sitting next to me, I don't know what happened to them."

An investigation has started but initial reports blame the bus driver for ignoring signals.

The BBC's Dumeetha Luthra in Sri Lanka says bus companies are privatised and often race each other to each stop. Bus accidents are a major problem.

According to Sri Lanka Railways, the bus was carrying 99 passengers.

Injured passengers were ferried to three hospitals while the dead were collected at the hospital in Kurunegala.

Relatives wailed as they checked pictures of the dead on the morgue wall.

During December's tsunami, Sri Lanka suffered what is thought to be the world's worst rail disaster.

The waves struck the Queen of the Sea service at Telwatta, 110km (75 miles) south of Colombo. About 800 bodies were identified but it is feared more than twice that number died.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/s ... 488251.stm

Dozens were killed when a packed bus was hit by a train at a level crossing in central Sri Lanka on Wednesday.

The bus was apparently racing another and entered the tracks when the level crossing was closed

Rescuers at the site at Polgahawela, 80km (50 miles) north-east of Colombo, were hampered when the bus caught fire in the collision.

Witnesses spoke of body parts strewn along the track and people stuck in the bus crying for help.[/b]

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News