Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Suspected LTTE female suicide bomber identified
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:50 pm 
Suspected LTTE female suicide bomber identified

@ Asian Tribune


The suspected Tiger female suicide bomber who carried out the attack on the Army Commander Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka has been identified as Anoja Kugenthiratasah.

Colombo, 27 April, (Asiantribune.com): The female suicide bomber who carried out the bomb attack on the Sri Lanka Army Commander on Tuesday 25 April, has been identified as a Tamil women from Vavuniya.

Police recovered the head of the of the women suicide bomber which was found hanging on a nearby tree, after it must have been severed from the rest of her body on the impact of the self-activated explosion.

It is now revealed that the suspected Tiger female suicide bomber who carried out the attack on the Army Commander Lt. Gen. Sarath Fonseka has been identified as Anoja Kugenthiratasah say security sources. She was a resident of Puvarasakulam at Vavuniya. She was 21 years old.

Sri Lanka Army has now released her scanned portrait image.

According to Army sources, she was the one who was pretending to be awaiting for the hospital bus and rammed into the advancing commander's car and blew herself up.

Information has been received that she had stayed in a lodge at Kotahena the previous day with two men.

Army sources revealed that CID police is investigating the suicide bomb attack at the Army Head Quarters on 25 April and so far several persons are arrested in this connection for inquiry .

- Asian Tribune -

 Post subject: Suicide bomber was pregnant?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:49 am 
Suicide bomber was pregnant

[27th April 2006 - 01:20 S..L.T]
Source: LT

It has been revealed that the Tiger suicide bomber Anoja Kugenthiratasah who carried out the attack on the Commander of the Army was really pregnant. She was 21 years old. The police team investigating the incident have got information that the woman had been participating for months in clinics held for pregnant women in Army Hospital. She was a resident of Puvarasakulam at Vavuniya.

Her head was found on a tree near the place of the incident. Parts of her body and a leg too have been found. Using the body parts found and information received about the female bomber a special team of doctors is already in the act of recreating her body.

Six police teams have been deployed to investigate this latest suicide says IGP. The IGP points out that public support would be vital in the investigations carried out by these teams.

Information has been received that the woman suicide bomber had walked along Elephant House road. The woman who was at the queue for pregnant women at the Army Hospital had received a telephone call as the commander was leaving Army Headquarters. As soon as she received the telephone call she had moved towards the convoy carrying Army Commander, a woman who had been near her had said to the Army investigation team.

The investigation team suspects that the telephone call may have been given by somebody inside the Army Headquarters. The SIM card of her phone has been found and it is believed that it would lead to vital clues.

It has been revealed that Army Commander’s life was spared as a result of the soldiers in motorbike, who rode beside his vehicle for his security, kicked the woman suicide cadre aside when she approached Army Commander’s vehicle to explode the bomb.

The Army men riding motorbike for Army Commander’s security had seen the woman speedily approaching the vehicle had kicked her and pushed her aside.

Another Tamil woman was taken into custody by the Police teams investigating this incident on 27th April, on suspicion of being involved in the suicide bomb explosion. Security sources say she has been found to have spied on for the assassination attempt on the life of the Army Commander Mr. Sarath Fonseka. Vital clues regarding this information are now being uncovered. Police say that further information regarding this will not be divulged as that would hamper the investigations.

The woman who posed as wife of a soldier had been staying at a lodge in the Dam Street, the owner of the lodge who is now in custody had said. She had had two accomplices and they had gone missing with the bomb incident, the lodge owner had told the investigating teams.

Sometimes back, an LTTE woman suicide cadre who came to Colombo to assassinate Minister Douglas Devananda too had stayed in the same lodge. She blew herself when taken to the Kollupitiya police for questioning.

It has been disclosed that the woman who exploded herself had visited the Army Hospital very often. Police attention has now focused on as to who had helped her in her movements in to the hospital.

Investigation teams have focused attention on the telephone call she had received just before the explosion.

 Post subject: Suicide bomber’s family members arrested
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:13 am 
Suicide bomber’s family members arrested
Suicide bomber’s ID leads to more arrests

By Asif Fuard
@ ST /30APR2006

The CID investigating last Tuesday’s suicide bomb attack on Army Commander Lt. General Sarath Fonseka at the Army Headquarters in Colombo has detained five suspects.

The latest arrest came in the wake of the CID stumbling upon the woman’s identity card which had an address at Puvarasankulam in Vavuniya. Two supposed family members from the house at the address were arrested and brought to Colombo for interrogation.

A CID team had gone to Vavuniya to investigate the bomber’s connections as they believed that she would have originally come from the area.

Detectives found that the suicide bomber had stayed in a lodge at Dam Street in Colombo 12 and has had some 25 visitors. The CID is now trying to locate the visitors and what links they had with the woman.

Police also detained the lodge owner who was later released. During questioning he had told investigators that the woman had first come with a Muslim man. When she was not allowed to stay in the lodge the first time she had again arrived with a Tamil man and had eventually been provided accommodation.

Detectives had found out that the bomber had visited the Army Headquarters on a few occasions as an officer’s wife who was pregnant. Investigators are trying to find out how she had entered the high security area without arousing suspicion and being checked.

 Post subject: Bomber’s blood to be sent to Australia
 Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:45 pm 
Bomber’s blood to be sent to Australia

@ DM / Saturday, May 06, 2006
By Kurulu Kariyakarawana

The blood sample of the LTTE female suicide bomber -- who blasted herself inside the Army Headquarters -- is to be sent to Australia, for high-tech laboratory tests while parts of the cellular phone are to be sent to Hungary for further investigations.

A senior CID official said yesterday the locally carried out pregnancy tests had failed as the woman’s blood had been contaminated as a result of the explosion and the technology available in this country was not sufficient to prove whether the woman was actually pregnant or not.

Parts of the almost destroyed cellular phone that was said to have been used by her was to be sent to the manufacturer in Hungary to get details about the phone using its batch number.

The phone used by the suicide bomber just seconds before the explosion was reportedly not registered with any of the local mobile phone service providers.

Meanwhile the CID has collected important eyewitness accounts from those who had seen the woman talking with an Army Major inside the headquarters few moments before the explosion.

A pregnant woman who visited the maternity clinic on the date of the explosion is reported to have seen a woman similar to suicide bomber talking to the army officer, but the CID is yet to confirm whether it was the suicide bomber.

The suicide bomber was spotted by another patient, while getting into the bus taking visitors to the Army Hospital. When the witness was about to leave the hospital premises she had again seen the this woman seated on a step near the spot where the bomb was exploded.

 Post subject: Back to square one
 Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 pm 
Back to square one

"There had been 8 unclaimed identity cards after the bomb blast, and among them was the identity card of alleged suicide bomber Anoja Kuganethirasa. CID sleuths traced her address in Vavyniaya and found the woman alive. Upon questioning the woman has said that she was staying in the same lodge in the Dam Street where the suicide bomber was also alleged to have stayed. She has come to Colombo for some other purpose and investigations have revealed that she has no hand in the incident." - LeN

Sri Lanka seeks help to identify woman suicide bomber

14 May 2006 12:45:36

May 14, 2006 (AFP) - Sri Lanka Police asked for help from the public Sunday to identify a woman suicide bomber who attacked the island's army chief killing 10 people.

The police Criminal Investigations Department said in a statement that the bomber had yet to be identified contrary to earlier claims that she was a 21-year-old pregnant woman from the island's north.

"The woman suicide cadre is believed to be in the age group of 35 to 40 years and about five feet three inches tall," the CID said.

The CID also released a pen-sketch of the woman based on forensic modelling.

Logs at the army headquarters showed the bomber entered the military compound and staged the attack last month after posing as a solider's pregnant wife to take advantage of "maternity day" at the army hospital.

However, a medical expert has said that tests showed that the woman was not pregnant, contrary to media reports at the time.

Police said the bomber's mobile phone was destroyed but they managed to recover the SIM card which has been sent abroad for analysis and to trace the calls she made and received just before the attack.

Army chief Lieutenant General Sarath Fonseka and 30 others were wounded in the attack while a total of 11 people, including the bomber, died.

Fonseka has been discharged from intensive care but remains at the army hospital and would resume work "in the near future," an army statement said last week.

Authorities suspect the attack was the work of the rebel Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, which has used suicide bombings against prominent leaders as a tactic in the past, including the assassination of former Indian premier Rajiv Gandhi.

The attack was the most serious incident blamed on the rebels since they entered into a truce with the government in 2002.

Woman suicide bomber was staying at Kaduwela

May 13th, 2006

Police investigations into the suicide bomber attack in the military headquarters precincts on April 25th thay killed nine persons and seriously injured army commander Sarath Fonseka have discovered that the woman suspect who allegedly blew herself up came on that fateful day from a residence in Kaduwela a Colombo suburb.

Investigators say that the woman whose identity remains unknown was fair - complexioned with long hair tresses. She was about 5 feet 3 inches tall and aged between 35 to 40. She was wearing a green Salwar, black kameez and Yellow pasmina on the day she died. Her gold ear - rings were studded with star shaped red stones.

Police investigators now say that she had entered the Army HQ on that day without surrendering her national ID card. This had been made possible by a civilian clerk at the military hospital. Police allege that the man whose name they refused to reveal was the paramour of the woman suspect.

She had befriended him and was carrying on as his lover in order to get his assistance in getting through to the army HQ say Police. Among the man’s functions at the hospital was the arranging of medical appointments with doctors for prospective patients.

In the case of this woman her male friend had brought her to the hospital at least five times on previous occasions say Police. It was he who arranged for her to stay in Kaduwela and brought her to the HQ on that fateful day.

Asked whether the man had been arrested Police sources said cryptically that he had been killed in the explosion with the woman.

Police also said that the question of the woman being pregnant or not had not been proved yet.

Police had also checked out eight unclaimed national identity cards belonging to women and discovered that all of them were including a Tamil were alive.

Police have also released an artistic impression of the woman’s face and called for information from the public.
- D.B.S. Jeyaraj

 Post subject: Female suicide bomber identified
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:50 am 
Female suicide bomber identified

By Kurulu Kariyakarawana
06 July 2006


The suspected LTTE female suicide cadre responsible for the attack on Army Commander Sarath Fonseka has been identified and three other suspects wanted in connection with the blast inside the Army Headquarters have been arrested, police said.

Detectives arrested a couple and another male suspect at Rambukkana and recovered the national identity card of the 32-year-old suicide bomber Manjuladevi.

The three suspects had reportedly helped the suicide bomber in planning and carrying out her dastardly deed.

IGP Chandra Fernando told a news conference at police headquarters yesterday that a special CID team sent to Rambukkana soon after the incident had located the suspects.

The suspects were said to have been well paid by the LTTE to assist the woman suicide bomber and the couple and the other suspect had been summoned to Killinochchi and asked to accompany Manjuladevi to Rambukkana and find her lodgings. The suspects are being detained for further questioning.

 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:57 am 

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 1
Feel really sad......

 Post subject: Is she or is she not the bomber?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:28 am 
Back to square one again!
Is she or is she not the bomber?

@ DM / 14JUL2006

The woman, Kanapathipillay Manjula Devi, who was alleged to have been the suicide bomber who jumped onto Army Commander Sarath Fonseka’s vehicle, is still among the living, latest investigations have revealed.

A senior investigator said the woman suicide bomber, who initially resided in Rambukkana and later shifted to Weliveriya, had been initially identified as Manjula Devi.

Her identity card was also found by the police. It was also revealed that Manjula Devi was in Anuradhapura when she was a child. But when a special police team visited the house at Anuradhapura, the parents informed police that it was not their daughter’s picture in the identity card, leading the investigations into another angle, the investigator said.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: