Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post subject: Bus bomb Dambulla - Suspect arrested - update 4
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:31 am 
18 Civillians killed in bus bomb Dambulla

Saturday, February 02, 2008
@Agencies / MCNS

A bomb explosion inside a private bus ("Keshani") parked at the Dambulla bus stand, has killed at least 18 civillians and over 50 wounded, at 7.a.m. today.

The bus was traveling to the north-central town of Anuradhapura from Kandy in the central hills.

Casualty figures are believed to toll, Dambulla Hospital sources said.

"We can confirm at least 14 people killed and several more wounded," a police officer in Dambulla, 150 kilometres (93 miles) north of Colombo, said by telephone.

A local hospital said at least 30 people were injured.

Police cordoned off the blast site and an investigation was underway, the officer said.

He said initial reports suggested that the blast may have originated inside the bus when it was parked at the Dambulla bus station, a key transit point for people travelling in the region.

Defence sources believe that this is another treacherous act of the LTTE targeting innocent civilians despite its imminent defeat at Wanni and North.

Tamil Tigers have been blamed for blasting a bus in Southern Sri Lanka on the same day that the ceasefire expired.

Tamil Tigers set off a powerful suicide truck bomb in the same area in October 2006, killing at least 116 sailors who were heading home on leave.

Related:
:arrow: Tamil Tigers kill 26 with a bus bomb in Sri Lanka
:arrow: Carnage at Habarana - 116 unarmed sailors killed

Post subject: Two passengers planted the bomb
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:05 pm 
Two passengers planted the bomb

The bomb that ripped a passenger bus at Dambulla killing 18 people, had been planted by two people who had boarded the bus from Matale and got off at Naula, according to Central Province DIG Kingsley Ekanayake.

@ Agencies / DM / SLDM
Saturday, February 02, 2008

The parcel bomb ripped through the vehicle at a bus station in Dambulla, 150 kilometres (93 miles) north of Colombo. It had stopped en route to the Buddhist pilgrimage town of Anuradhapura to pick up more passengers, police said. Police said that 18 were killed and at least 50 people had also been injured in the blast

The military blamed Tamil Tigers rebels for the blast in the bus at 7 a.m. in Dambulla, a town about 90 miles northeast of the capital, Colombo. Tigers could not be reached for comment. The LTTE listed as a terror organization by the U.S. and European Union, routinely denies responsibility for such attacks.

Bus driver Rohana Wijesiri said he was taking about 100 passengers, mainly elderly women, to the holy city of Anuradhapura.

"When we were passing Dambulla there was a huge blast and the door near my seat got blown away," Wijesiri said.

The top and sides of the bus were ripped apart in the force of the blast. A severed hand could be seen among the bloodstained bags, glass and other debris strewn several yards from the vehicle.

"I do not remember what happened next, but I was running on the road. I saw my conductor fallen on the ground. He too got up and started running with me" Wijesiri said.

"As it (the bus) came near me, I heard thunder. I got thrown away," said Kankeaarachige Michael, a 52-year-old businessman, who was standing by the road when the blast occurred.

"When I saw blood gushing out of my body, I realized it's a bomb," Michael told The Associated Press at Dambulla Base Hospital, where he was being treated. Michael lost an eye in the blast.

Military spokesman Brig. Udaya Nanayakkara, initially said 20 people had died in the blast, but he changed the official toll to 18 after gathering more information.

Dambulla hospital sources said, eighteen bodies of innocent civilians killed in the bomb attack were already received at the hospital. Four civilians who suffered serious head injuries were immediately transferred to the general hospital at Matale. Also among the injured ten, eleven, six and five civilians were respectively transferred to the hospitals at Kandy, Kurunegala, Matale and Colombo, hospital sources said. Sixteen of the eighteen bodies received at Dambulla general hospital were already identified.

President Mahinda Rajapakse condemned the bombing and urged people not to be provoked by what he called the "savage attack" of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). The Tamil Tigers are "eager to create a backlash (by the Sinhalese majority) to obtain the sympathy of the international community" for their long fight for an independent homeland, Rajapakse said in a statement.

Post subject: Sinhala woman who brought Dambulla bomb arrested
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:30 pm 
Sinhala woman who brought Dambulla bomb arrested
Suspect says bomb intended for Anuradhapura

The suspect, 48 year old P.G. Hemalatha is a Sinhala woman, born in Kengalla, Kandy, living in Killinochchi since the age of 14 is a mother of two tamil tigers. The bomb had exploded by accident while it was being taken to Anuradhapura to be set off near the Ruwanweliseya.

@ D /By Kanchana Kumara Ariyadasa
Friday, February 08, 2008

The woman who had brought the bomb which exploded in a private bus at Dambulla on Saturday, was arrested by Dambulla police yesterday, while she was undergoing treatment for burn injuries at the Dambulla hospital.

Police investigations had revealed that the suspect, who is a Sinhala woman, had been born in Kengalla, Kandy, but had lived in Killinochchi since the age of 14. Dambulla HQI, Tissa Lal De Silva, said that although the suspect was Sinhala she could not speak Sinhala properly and it was suspected that the bomb had exploded while it was being taken to Anuradhapura to be set off near the Ruwanweliseya.

Police said that the suspect had come with her mother. She had kept the parcel at the front of the vehicle. She and her mother had not sat next to each other on the bus. Both of them had sustained injuries due to the blast and been admitted to the Dambulla hospital. Police said that the suspect had been identified as 48 year old P.G. Hemalatha.

The suspect had told police that she went to Killinochchi with a Tamil youth at the age of 14 and that she has two sons who are members of the LTTE. Police said that the woman’s first visit to Kengalla, after she left, was eight years later. Thereafter she had visited her village on several occasions and had even constructed a house there. She had come to Kengalla this time on January 24.

Police said that her mother, who is aged between 65 and 70, was undergoing treatment at the Kurunegala hospital. Police also said that this bomb had exploded in the bus by accident. It had been intended for a target in Anuradhapura.

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News