Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Needs Information

Post subject: Ceylon Times - WW2
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:26 am 
Hello,

During WW2, I was stationed in Colombo from early February 1942 to March 1943. I was in the RN working watches at the Port War Signal Station. Initionally I was based at a small barracks at the end of the Galle Face, a stones throw from the Galle Face hotel, and afterwards at St Joseph's College. I also spent a few weeks at the Bristol hotel. There was a weekly newspaper, I think it was called the "Ceylon Times" that was published on Wednesdays. One of our shipmates used to write a guest column for it - I think he was a journalist back home. I was wondering if you could identify him for me? Or put me in touch with the
archives dept of that paper. Also have you an email address ,or any address, for Ron Harris, the ex serviceman who organises trips to Sri Lanka?

I have fond memories of my time in your beautiful country.:D

Regards,
Alan Tonkin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm 

Hi.

Re your message of the 23rd June. I cannot answer your question but my father's cousin was at that time Editor of the Ceylon Times. His name was Alexander Stewart. I have not been able to find the archives either, but if you do manage to trace them perhaps you would let me know.

Board index » General Topics » Needs Information