Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Needs Information

Post subject: Dating and Relationships
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:02 pm 
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am a young man born and currently living in the United States. I recently met a Sri Lankan woman whom had come over to the United States to study. We quickly became friends.

I am interested in possibly getting involved in a romantic relationship with my Sri Lankan friend. She is of Sinhalese decent, and is a very attractive woman, but also really fun to spend time with.

I suppose that some of the people here might be from Sri Lanka? I am looking for suggestions of the "do's" and "don'ts" when it comes to romance. I do not want to do something that would make my friend feel unconfortable, due to cultural differences in our societies. So I have been taking things very slowly.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Dating
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:57 pm 
Quote:
Hi Hasdrubal,

Being a mixed couple (Dutch and Lankan), and caretakers for my wife's younger brother and sister, we might be able to offer some advice.

There is really only one general DON'T: Never ever sleep in the same house as the girl before it has really come to a marriage, or sometimes an engagement. Virginity is 'sacred' in most parts Lankan culture, and it does not matter whether you have shared a bed or not; the simple fact that you were in the same house has made her 'very much suspected' and her family's reputation might be at risk afterwards ('daughter is a slut') etc. etc

When she lives abroad there is (contrary to in a SL village) no problem with the two of you being in one room without a chaperon, but that's daytime only...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Post subject: What? You need advice ???
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:26 pm 

If you really think the people on the other side of the world are that much different, what you really need is an education in reality.

Perhaps you should find someone you are more comfortable with, from your own community.

Board index » General Topics » Needs Information