Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » Masters and Sinners : Sri Lanka Underworld

Post subject: Underworld gang leader Nawala Nihal abducted & disappear
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 am 
Police responsible for Nawala Nihal’s disappearance - Brother

Underworld gang leader Nawala Nihal went missing late last month while returning home from Courts. On May 29, 2006, around 2.30 p.m. he was in a moving Suzuki four-wheel drive jeep with some friends in the Nawala Road. A Defender jeep had cut across the path of the Jeep adjoining Nawala Bridge and guntoting persons clad in civils had forcibly taken away Nihal.

by Franklin R. Satyapalan
@ The Island /12 June 2006

A finger has been pointed at the police over the abduction and disappearance of underworld gang leader Nawala Nihal.

Noel, the elder brother of the mobster, who went missing late last month while returning home from Courts, accused the police over the disappearance, a charge vehemently denied by police. The law enforcement officers claimed that Nihal had several powerful enemies and anyone of them could have carried out the hit.

In an interview with The Island, Noel accused the police of abducting his brother and several of his colleagues. "They are executing people in Mafia-style operations," he said, while accusing a section of the media of slandering his brother. The media destroyed him, he said. According to police headquarters, Nihal had run the Colombo underworld with an iron fist and is widely believed to be responsible for manipulating other gangs.

Noel said that his brother studied at St. Peter’s College, Bambalapitya and it was the media that joined hands with the police to write slanderous untruths and paint a dark picture of his deeds.

"We challenge the police to prove that my brother was involved with the drug trade or carried out any hired killings. I do not know if the police have any complaint, that would stand in any court of law, that he had extorted money.

Our’s is a respectable family, my father is a Wickremasinghe hailing from Dadalla in Galle and mother a Miss Fonseka. They brought us up well and educated us in leading schools in Colombo and we never expected to be victimised under Mahinda Chinthanaya. My brother Donald (Nihal) used to help people who had been cheated of large amounts of money, where the police were unable to help. At times he used to use his persuasive power to negotiate and bring an amicable settlement and relief to the victims. At times, some family members of very senior officers in the police department had approached my brother for assistance in recovering such money which led to my brother Nihal being popularly known as ‘God father’ of the poor and downtrodden," he said.

He challenged anyone to prove his brother had dealt in drugs or hired killings at any time.

Noel said that on May 29, 2006, which was a Monday, his brother Nihal boarded his blue Coloured Suzuki four-wheel drive jeep and a friend named friend Ranjith Gallage, who was a Seaman without a single complaint against him anywhere took the wheel, while one Rohana from Piliyandala sat in the back, at around 1.00 pm they left Hulftsdorph after presenting themselves for a case at the Magistrate Courts.

"On their way to our Ancesteral home in Nawala, at Thimbirigasyaya Road my brother had purchased two shirts and come to Narahenpita Junction where he purchased some bottled water, at which time some eyewitness had observed two extra occupants who had got into the vehicle on the way from the courts.

Around 2.30 p.m. when they were proceeding along the Nawala Road, adjoining Nawala Bridge on the Narahenpita side, opposite Lanka Tiles, a Defender jeep had cut across the path of the Suzuki Jeep my brother travelled in and before one could say Jack Robinson guntoting persons clad in civils had forcibly taken away Nihal. When my brother was getting late to come home, I made several attempts to contact him on his cellular phone but failed. Around 7 p.m. that same night we received information from reliable sources that Nihal was in the company of the Colombo Crime Division at Dematagoda and we all were relieved by this information, as we believed he was in the safe hands of the police, but subsequently we learnt that this information was false and that Nihal had gone mysteriously missing that was when the abandoned vehicle was recovered around 3 p.m. the next day minus the occupants and now lying at Narahenpita police for release to the owner who was a friend of ours’."

Noel said they had nothing against the police or the government and their family had appealed toP Mahinda Rajapakse to grant them justice and have Nihal released.

He said they complained to the Welikada police on June 3, 2006.

Noel asked why such extra judicial abductions and killings are taking place under a President who formerly carried out campaigns against such killings including the finding of skeletons in the Suriyakanda killings.

He said if there were no known persons whom his brother could trust his life with, among the armed abductees riding the Defender Jeep, Nihal would not have surrendered by getting off vehicle and going off with them. "So we believe this to be a job of ‘Police Mafia’ which carried out the killings where headless bodies of youths were recovered from rubber estates and the killings of Police Inspector Nimal Douglas and his wife.

He said his brother nor any of the family had ever dealt or dabbled in the drug trade or carried out hired killings, "Pease grant us justice and release them so that the judiciary could deal with them, " he pleaded.
[/b]

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » Masters and Sinners : Sri Lanka Underworld