Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS

Post subject: Tearing up a Holy Quran in protest at alleged sexual abuse
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Wednesday, November 24,1999

Sri Lankan Maid Jailed For Ripping Up Quran
Tearing up a Holy Quran in protest at alleged sexual abuse

DUBAI, Nov 23 (AFP) - A Sri Lankan housemaid has been jailed for two months for tearing up a Holy Quran in protest at alleged sexual abuse by her Emirati employer and his two sons, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

"I did it to take revenge for the six-month-nightmare that I spent in that house," the maid told a court on Monday in the emirate of Ras al-Khaimah. The 25-year-old woman, who was not named, admitted to tearing up the Quran in front of the entire family and told the court she had heard before traveling to the United Arab Emirates that Muslims were fair.

"Having spent that time with this Muslim family, I realized that all that I had been told was a big lie," said the woman, who is to be deported after serving the jail term. "I tried to run away but found no way of doing so," she said, adding that the wife also took no notice of her complaints. "If a two-month jail term is the price for my freedom, I am pleased to pay it."

Mohammad Khalfan al-Barq, head of the emirate's Islamic Aaffairs Department, told Gulf News that the woman had insulted all Muslims and that the crime could not be justified. "But if her words are true, then the man and his family are bad models for true Muslims," he said.

The official advised Emirati families to employ Muslim housemaids and urged those with maids of other religions to keep the Quran and other holy texts out of their reach. Foreigners account for more than 80 percent of the UAE's population of close to three million. Most laborers are from India and Pakistan, while most housemaids are from the Philippines and Sri Lanka.

There were no reports of an inquiry into the maid's allegations of sexual abuse.

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS