Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Throwing boiling water at Sri Lankan maid
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:31 am 
Quote:
Employer accused of throwing boiling water at Sri Lankan maid

Web posted at: 9/1/2005 2:39:7
Source ::: The Peninsula


Doha: A Sri Lankan maid suffered severe burn injuries in her right hand when her sponsor's wife allegedly threw boiling water on her.

The injured maid came to the embassy of her country and reported the incident on Monday. She was rushed to the hospital for treatment by the mission staff.

The domestic who ran away from her sponsor's house, did not remember the name of her employer nor did she know the address.

The embassy contacted the Foreign Employment Bureau in Colombo and giving the maid's personal details, got to know the name of her sponsor and contact number.

"We tried the telephone number of her employer but there is no response," a source at the embassy told The Peninsula yesterday.

"The maid has suffered severe burn injuries in the lower portion of her right hand but fortunately, her fingers are okay," the embassy source said.

The mission has prepared a letter giving all details of the incident and the sponsor and it is being forwarded to the Criminal Evidence and Information Department (CEID) with the maid today for action.

The 35-year-old maid came to Doha only four months ago and according to details made available by the embassy, her sponsor's wife got furious over some trivial household chore and threw boiling water on her in rage.

"The maid doesn't want to stay on any more. She wants to go back home. We are urging the CEID to repatriate her after completing the formalities," the source said.

Gas leakage

In another incident, a young Sri Lankan worker is battling for life at the Hamad General Hospital after suffering critical burn injuries in a cooking gas leakage at his accommodation in the Industrial Area.

The man did not know that gas had leaked overnight in a cylinder in the camp's kitchen. There was a sudden explosion when he came to the kitchen early in the morning and put the lights on.

He was rushed to the hospital where he remains admitted to the critical intensive care unit. The embassy staff visited him on Tuesday.

"It would be a miracle if he is saved," said an embassy source, adding that the injured worker's family back home had been informed. He is married, with two small children.

The embassy said it raised the issue of the injured worker's insurance with his employers who are a catering company, but they were insistent that since the mishap occurred at their labour camp and not work site, no claim could be made.

"We have decided to fight his case since the accommodation where the incident took place, also belongs to the company," said the embassy official.


Top 
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron