Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS

Post subject: SHE BATTLES TO SURVIVE
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:06 am 
Quote:
SHE BATTLES TO SURVIVE

BY RIYASBABU
19 November 2005
@ Khaleej Times

Yodinge Jenitha, 34 year old Sri Lankan housemaid, who needs to undergo surgery immediately for cancer, refuses to be admitted to hospital as she has no money or health card. The woman, who has been diagnosed as suffering from a severe form of cancer known as Rectal Adeno Carcinoma, has no other go, but to have the cancer removed at once, if she is to save her life.

But, the poor woman left the hospital for the tiny room in Sharjah which she shares with her friend, as she does not have the means to pay the Kuwaiti Hospital in Sharjah Dh4,000 for the surgery.

As she received no help from the Sri Lankan Consulate, the young woman aspires to see her three children who she has left in her parents' care in Sri Lanka. " I want to live with my children. I hope that God will give me at least a chance to meet them," she said helplessly.

To add to her woes, Jenitha has overstayed here and has lost her passport, complicating the already much complex story.

Jenitha, a widow arrived in the UAE four years ago on a housemaid visa with the hope of earning a decent livelihood and support her three children. "I paid SL Rs 25,000 to obtain a house maid's visa. But, the employer did not pay me my salary on time and I was forced to run away and work in different places," she said.

She disclosed that her passport was with the agent who brought her to the UAE. "I don't know where is my passport now and nor the whereabouts of the agent,” said Jenitha.

"Some five months ago, I had some rectal bleeding. On examination, the doctors in a private clinic in Sharjah diagnosed it as cancer.”

"When I visited the hospital yesterday, doctors suggested I should get myself admitted and receive blood transfusion followed by surgery."

"But, I could not afford to pay Dh 4,000 to receive immediate treatment since I have no health card and decided not to get admitted. Doctors have also suggested that I either undergo the surgery immediately or return to Sri Lanka for treatment. But, I don’t have my passport and my visa has expired. Besides, there is no money to travel," Jenitha shared her worries.

She said she approached the Sri Lankan consulate in Dubai for an outpass but the officials told her that it would take a long time.

However, officials from Sri Lankan consulate were not available for comment. A source at the Sri Lankan mission confirmed that the process to issue an outpass usually would take around a month or so .“But this will be too late for the helpless Jenitha,” the doctors feel.

Board index » Socio-Economic issues » SRI LANKAN HOUSEMAIDS