Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Politics & Ethnic Conflict » Loony Politics in Sri Lanka

Post subject: Me Kauda, Monawada Karanne? - Who is he- What is he doing?
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:55 am 
Me Kauda, Monawada Karanne? - Who is he- What is he doing?

In 1990, Mr. Luxman Perera, a Member of the Municipal Council (MMC) wrote a play using the title "Me - kauda - Monawada Karanne?" (Who is he - What is he doing?). This title has been taken from the slogan of the same words used in the 1988, in support of President Premadasa's presidential election campaign.

Luxman Perera's drama was meant to be a satire on the Premadasa's administration. Luxman Perera joined hands with journalist and media man Richard de Soyza. Luxman Perera's play was submitted to the Public Performances Board, which approved it. It was said that, Lalith Athulathmudali was aware of the content of the drama, as Luxman Perera was one of his close political associates.

Luxman Perera lived in a bungalow belonged to the Railway Department, in the Station Road, Dehiwala, with his family. Lalith Athulathmudali agreed to be the chief guest of the drama, on the opening night.

Suddenly, a few days before the opening night, a van without a number plate arrived at Luxman Perera's home at night and took him away. He disappeared. He was presumed dead. It was rumored that Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ronnie Gunasinghe was responsible for the abduction.

A few days later, on February 18, 1990, Richard Soyza was forcibly carried away from his bed, by a group of men, who arrived at about 3 am, despite his mother's protest and intervention. Subsequently, Richard Soyza's body was found washed ashore at Korolawella beach Moratuwa.

Board index » Politics & Ethnic Conflict » Loony Politics in Sri Lanka