Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Health & Lifestyle » Alternative Medicine & Herbal Products

Post subject: Jewellery from herbs and natural materials
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:56 pm 
Quote:
She creates jewellery from herbs and natural materials

by Shirajiv Sirimane
CDN / 29 Sep 2005

For the first time in Sri Lanka a Moratuwa University undergraduate, Lasni Surendra has launched a jewellery collection made out of herbs and natural materials.

ImageImage

Her product range was exhibited at the recently concluded 'Innovation 2005' at the BMICH organised by the Moratuwa University. "The response was very encouraging," she said. An undergraduate following her bachelor of designing, she said that she had to do an innovative project and decided to introduce this concept. Her aim is to manufacture meaningful jewellry with a healing touch.

Surendra at her workshop in Matara

The manufactured jewellry would serve two purposes. Apart from being a body adoration and creating new trends in design it would also give a healing touch. "She uses locally grown medicinal wood and also imports Sandal wood from India for her creations," she said.

An old girl of Sujatha Vidyalalya, Matara, she said that a lot of technical research went in to her production. "Understanding the technical constraints in materials is very important. I also try to maintain the importance of nature and culture in my jewellery designs," she said.

She said that research done previously by various Ayurvedha institutions have shown that items produced from Sandalwood is good to maintain a healthy skin while Venivel gives an Ayurvedha relief for many illnesses.

Her products include Venivel necklaces, Red and white sandal bangle, Nagadarana pendant and rings produced by various other medicinal woods. She also uses silver and bronze in her production process.

The importance of a certain academic approach has been identified as a greater need in the issues of jewellery of this nature. Also it should be emphasised that a certain demand for jewellery of this nature has arisen in society today. It is the task of the designers of today to make an attempt to address these current needs with proper research and knowledge earned through academic backgrounds.

The greater emphasis on the healing and positive effects of the natural materials needs to be most innovatively incorporated in to jewellery to serve a purpose more than mere adoration. The approach to jewellery design of this nature further requires the understanding of medicinal knowledge of certain types of material, their behaviour, aesthetical qualities etc.

It is the skill of the jewellery designer to arrive at the issues dealing with the project of this nature with innovation, practicality, technology and most importantly the vision for a new approach to jewellery. "For the moment my products are targeting the exclusive and up market. When orders pick up and mass production begins I would be catering for the middle class as well," she said.

Surendra whose parents are teachers says that she is still not in a viable financial position to open a showroom in Colombo. "I am planning to get in touch with the SME bank and the Export Development Board or find a business partner for expansion," she said.

She is also on the look out for new machinery. "At the moment I am designing and the outsourcing is being done by Moratuwa carpenters and by Matara Jewellers," she said.

Born to a family of six she has obtained patent rights for her products. She is also keen to exhibit the product range overseas but not in a financial situation to do so.

More details could be obtained from her E-mail, lasni_surendra@yahoo.com.

Board index » Health & Lifestyle » Alternative Medicine & Herbal Products