Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post subject: Suicide bomber kills 8 in Wattala
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:37 pm 
Suicide bomber kills 8 in Wattala

Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Tamil Tiger suicide bomber killed eight people including six paramilitary guards in Wattala today.

Military said the Tamil Tigers targeted a security checkpoint near a crowded market in Wattala. According to police sources, a male suicide bomber has exploded himself around 9 AM in front of the Civil Defence Force office on the church road.

"The death toll has gone up to eight people including six civil defence force personnel, one army officer and a civilian," Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said. He said 17 others were injured and being treated at two hospitals. 13 CDF personnel and 4 civilians including a women were reported injured due to the bomb blast.

The injured have been admitted to Teaching Hospital, Ragama and National Hospital, Colombo. Sources in the Ragama hospital said that 2 of the 10 injured admitted to the hospital are in serious condition. Later, a CDF guard and a civilian who were among injured admitted to the National Hospital, Colombo had succumbed to injuries.

According to eyewitnesses, the suicide bomber had exploded himself when he was stopped by the security personnel on guard from entering the CDF office.

Post subject: Wattala suicide bomber had "Kola Kenda" at "I
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:51 am 
Wattala suicide bomber had "Kola Kenda" at "Irida Pola"

@ Divaina - 29 Dec 2009
by A Special Correspondent

The suicide bomber who caused havoc at Wattala by exploding a bomb strapped to his body was seen devouring a dish of “Kola Kenda” (leafy porridge) at the “Irida Pola” (Sunday fair) minutes before the attack occurred.

After having kola kenda at the Sunday fair near St.Anne’s church the killer had tried to enter the Civil Defence Force camp in the adjoining premises.

When prevented from doing so he had detonated the explosive device attached to his body.

Had he been able to enter the premises nearly 60 other CDF personnel sleeping at the camp dormitory would have been killed or injured.

At least eight people including seven Civil Defence Force personnel were killed and 18 injured in the suicide attack in Wattala near the Civil Defence Force (CDF) camp Sunday (Dec 28th) morning.

The suicide bomber had apparently tried to penetrate the CDF security and cause major damage to the camp by entering it through the nearby weekly Sunday Fair adjacent to St. Anne’s church,

Ragama Hospital Deputy Director Dr. Lalani Gurusingha said that four bodies were brought to the hospital from the scene of the carnage and another 11 people were being treated at the emergency ward.

“Three people are in critical condition and arrangements have been made to transfer them to the National Hospital,” Dr. Gurusingha said.

A CDF member identified as P.A.D.Dushanta who was among eight admitted to the national hospital, succumbed to his injuries on admission.

Supdt of Police, Premalal Ranagala said it was Dushanta who was manning the gate at the camp preventing the suicide bomber from entering it.

CDF personnel J.M.Ratnayaka said he was off duty and was about to leave for home when the incident occurred.

“When I came out I saw a young man attempting to enter the camp from the closed gate without responding to questions of my colleague Dushanta. When the young suicide bomber entered through the gate by force, Dushanta pushed him aside and he exploded the suicide jacket instantly killing himself, Dushanta and many others,” Ratnayaka said.

“Our camp is situated at the Zonal Education Office at Wattala. There are about 150 personnel there. When I was coming out of the wash room of the camp around 8.30 a.m. I heard a loud explosion. I was thrown a few feet away and when I stood up I felt a burning pain on my left arm. I later found myself at the emergency ward at the National Hospital with my arm heavily bandaged,” CDF member D.M. Sunil Jayanta (32) said from his hospital bed

Explaining his harrowing experience another CDF member C. Chandrasiri, (31) of No. 347, Medirigiriya, Meegaswewa said he was having breakfast when he heard the huge explosion.

“When I rushed towards the gate there were several people fallen on the ground near the gate, some of them already dead or seriously injured,” he said.

D.M.Sunil Shanta 32 of Ihala Puliyankulama said there was a fairly big crowd at the weekly Sunday Fair near the St. Anne’s church Wattala last morning.

“The time was around 8.30. The gate of the camp had been closed. I saw a young man of medium built who came from the side of the statue of the St. Anne’s statue attempting to walk past the closed gate. But Dushanta wanted to stop him and the suicide bomber did not listen to him. When Dushanta pushed him he exploded his suicide kit killing and injuring many,” Sunil Shanta said.

The post mortems of the seven CDF personnel were held at the Ragama Hospital by Consultant JMO Dr. Keerti Gunatilaka, Deputy Director Dr. Lalani Gurusingha said.

The CDF personnel who were killed in the blast were identified as Capt. Shanta Kumara, Karunasingha Nimal Seneviratna, S.P.Sunil Padmasiri, M.G.I.P.K. Abeyratna, Ajith Samaratunga, A.H. Hemachandra and P. T. Vijayananda.

The body believed to be that of the suicide bomber is lying at the hospital morgue, Dr. Gurusingha said.

Among the others warded at the National Hospital are Punsiri Amarajeewa (33) of Medirigiriya, Sunil Jayanta (31) of Puliyankulam, J.M.Ratnayaka (33) of Galgamuwa, H.M.Herath (23) of Saliyapura, K.V.Podiappuhami of Colombo14 all of the CDF and T. Mahadeva (16) of Negombo.

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News