Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post subject: LTTE claymore bomb in Colombo kills 7 civilians - updated
 Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:28 pm 
Update 3
LTTE claymore bomb target STF truck at Ratmalana
Seven civilians killed, 36 including 6 STF members injured

LL/RH / 28 May 2007

In a claymore mine attack against the Special Task Force (STF) the LTTE killed 7 civilians and injured another 36 at Bellekkadai junction, Ratmalana, some 15 kilometers of Colombo this evening (28). Among the dead are 2 women and 5 men. Among the injured are 6 Special Task Force personnel.

The claymore bomb targeting a STF truck exploded near the People's Bank at Bellekkadae junction, Ratmalana around 5.40 p.m. this evening. The explosion took place on the Sea side of the Galle road.

According to sources, 5 civilians succumbed to their injuries after admission to the Kalubowila hospital. Another civilian died following admission to the Panadura hospital. One out of the two civilians who were rushed to the Colombo General hospital in critical condition had passed away, hospital sources said. The injured are being treated at Colombo, Kalubowila and Panadura hospitals.

Special Task Force was transporting STF personnel from Katukurunda camp to Gonahena STF camp. There were nine police commandos in the truck at the time of the attack. At the time of the blast, many office workers too were passing by the location. Although the STF truck was the target of Monday's attack, the vehicle had not caught the full impact of the blast and instead at least five civilians' vehicles and bystanders were caught.

Those who died, three men and two women, in Kalubowila hospital were identified as 1) Shantha Kumara (Divulapitya) 2) Roshan Bandara (Mount Lavinia) 3) H.S. Ramani (Pitigala, Alpitiya) 4) Irangani Fernando (Rathmalana) 5) D.F. Balachandra (Katubedda).

Another injured civilian, identified as 20 years old Danajaya Rajakaruna from Boossa, Galle, admitted to Panadura Hospital has died.

Thirty three injured were admitted to Kalubowila General Hospital, said Dr. W.G. Gunawardhene. the hospital director. Three seriously injured patients were immediately transferred to National Hospital Colombo. Hospital director told reporters that four injured were undergoing emergency surgery in the hospital. Two are treated in the intensive care unit while the others were admitted to ward number o6 of the hospital.

Several injured were rushed Panadura hospital too.

Six vehicles and several shops were badly damaged in the explosion, police said..

"It looks like a claymore mine was placed on the roof of a roadside shop and detonated with a remote controlled device as the truck passed," a police officer at the scene said. "It's obviously an LTTE Claymore. They have planted it in an abandoned shop," he added.

The bombing came just days after an army bus was targeted near the entrance to Colombo port, killing one soldier and injuring six other people, and a fierce naval battle off the Jaffna peninsula on Thursday.

Image Image

Post subject: Ratmalana death toll rises to 8
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm 
Ratmalana death toll rises to 8

@ DM / By Senaka De Silva
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The death toll in Monday’s bomb explosion at Ratmalana rose to 8 by yesterday morning when an STF officer succumbed to his injuries. Forty people injured in the incident were being treated at the Kalubowila, Panadura and National hospitals while five bodies had been identified by relatives.

Deputy Inspector General C.D. Wickremeratne said five police teams including officers of the CID, Colombo Crime Division and Mt Lavinia and Mirihana police stations were investigating the incident.

During the inquiries, police arrested six people who failed to give a valid reason for their presence in Colombo. The police also recorded the statements of more than 70 people including the owner of the communication centre where the claymore mine had been placed and the person who had rented it out.

The Government Analyst, who carried out an inspection of the scene, reported the claymore mine had been placed at a height of about 10 feet and that it contained high powered C4 explosives.

Mt Lavinia Magistrate visited the scene and held a preliminary inquiry.

Post subject: Pushpa gives her version of bomb left in Ratmalana
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:38 pm 
Pushpa gives her version of bomb left in Ratmalana

@ DM / By Gagani Weerakoon
Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The shop in which the bomb was planted belonged to my brother who was killed by the tsunami in 2004 and it was closed down for a long time since we are all busy and simply could not attend to the shop, said Pushpa Ramyani Soyza, a well-known nurses’ trainer, who works at the Emergency Unit of the Colombo National Hospital.

In the aftermath of Monday’s bomb blast in Ratmalana, it was reported that the shop, where the bomb blast took place, belonged to her. “I have rented out another shop, which is close to the said shop and the person who rented it from me called and informed that two unidentified persons were seen occupying my brother’s shop two days ago. As soon as I got the information I went to check on the shop on Monday evening,” she told the Daily Mirror. She says when arrived at the shop she had found that the place was being occupied by someone else. “We tried to open the doors and found that the padlocks had been changed. This was at around 5.05pm or 5.10pm, just minutes before the explosion. Then she had gone to the Mount Lavinia police station to lodge a complaint. While, she was explaining the incident to the OIC she had heard a deafening blast and someone had shouted that it was a bomb. She said as she heard it she had offered to help if anyone had been injured, since she was a nurse and had experience in taking care of injured people at the National Hospital. She had put some police officers into her car and rushed to the scene to find that it was her brother’s shop where she had tried to enter just few minutes ago. Pushpa noted that though the people in neighbouring shops had seen that the shop has been occupied for at least two days, no body had informed any of her family members. “The person who rented my other shop is now in hospital with injuries and seems to remember the two persons who were occupying the shop, as he was able to describe them to us,” she added.

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News