Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News

Post subject: Bandaranaike circus join carnival of clowns again!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:26 pm 
President removes 3 ministers
Ouster may trigger political crisis in Sri Lanka

Situation can pave way for general polls sooner rather than later. UNP has already said it is impossible to cooperate with Government. JVP, an electoral partner, is also annoyed.

Saturday, February 10, 2007
@ Source: DM / The Hindu

President Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday sacked Ministers Anura Bandaranaike, Mangala Samaraweera and Sripathi Sooriyaarachchi from their ministerial portfolios, amidst speculation that the President might decide to go in for a snap general election soon.

The shocking move came in the absence of SLFP strongman Mangala Samaraweera in the country. The former Minister left for Singapore on Thursday night and was scheduled to leave for London for a meeting with former President Chandrika Kumaratunga. He was also slated to visit India on his return trip, to meet a renowned astrologer and return to Colombo on Monday.

Sources close to the President told last evening that calling for fresh elections by dissolving the present parliament, was one of the options being considered by the President immediately after the decision to sack the three ministers.

President’s Secretary Lalith Weeratunga told the Daily Mirror last evening that letters signed by President Rajapaksa had already been sent to National Heritage Minister Anura Bandaranaike, Ports Minister Mangala Samaraweera and non Cabinet Ports Minister Sripathi Sooriyaarachchi.

No reason for stripping the ministers of their portfolios had been apparently given in the letters.

Immediately after the news broke out, Mr. Sooriyaarachchi had rushed to Mr. Banadaranaike’s ‘Visumpaya’ residence and had a lengthy discussion with him, according to informed sources.The decision also came in the backdrop of orders by Minister Samaraweera to Matara district SLFP organizers to go ahead with the district meeting at the Uyanwatte ground on February 24, despite a Presidential directive against the move.

Minister Samaraweera had reportedly asked the organizers to bring at least 10,000 party supporters to participate at the event.

President Rajapaksa’s decision also came a day after Mr. Banadaranaike made a bombshell speech in parliament accusing ‘elements close to the President’ for issuing death threats to him.

Mr. Bandaranaike told Parliament that the anonymous caller threatened to hang him and Mr. Samaraweera from lamp posts in Attanagalle and Matara (their constituencies) if they conspired against the President.

"I know who is doing this. The UNP has no need to do it. Opposition Leader Ranil Wickremesinghe is a perfect gentleman whom I have known for 50 years, since my kindergarten days. I know he would never resort to such acts. I know the JVP would not do so either.

I, along with Minister Samaraweera, was instrumental in forging the UPFA [United People's Freedom Alliance] including the JVP. Those who are embracing the JVP today opposed it at the time. We had to try very hard to get them to participate in protest marches at that time," he said.

Mr. Bandaranaike said he did not suspect the LTTE as it did not kill people after warning them.

"We can never be intimidated by death threats which would only toughen us," he said. "This is a country where a person is kidnapped every five hours as mentioned by Mr. Samaraweera, and therefore it is little wonder if we too are abducted."

There were plans to oust him and the former President Chandrika Kumaratunga from the SLFP founded by his father, Mr. Bandaranaike charged.

"Mr. Samaraweera's father was also a minister in my mother's Government. My mother suffered for six years following removal of her civil rights in an arbitrary manner. My sister Chandrika lost sight in one eye. We also sacrificed 3,000 acres of land to the country during our own time. Now those who did not grow even a blade of grass are attempting to remove Chandrika and me from the SLFP."

Mr. Sooriyaarachchi a few days ago said he detested the very thought of being e member of a government that had overburdened the people with its gigantic Cabinet.

The move to sack the three ministers came hours after messages were sent to the members of the SLFP Executive Committee calling for an emergency Ex-co meeting of the party today.

The Ex-co members had been unofficially informed that party discipline and the SLFP proposals for the All Party Representative Committee (APRC) were among the subjects of the agenda of the meeting.

SLFP General Secretary Maithripala Sirisena is already on record that the SLFP proposals have preserved the unitary character of Sri Lanka but had insisted that the proposals had addressed the grievances of all communities. The Ex-co meeting is scheduled for 10 am will be held at Temple Trees.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:06 am 

I think Anura Bandaranaike had forgotten what her sister has done to the country. He must read Chaura Rajina before start commenting about his sister. President should have an open warrant to arrest such people when they come to Sri Lanka. Samaraweera is good for nothing anyway. President shouldn’t have kept them in the parliament for this long he should have sack these unwanted creatures when he first came to power. And Ranil wickramasinghe’s gentlemanly behavior could have cost the country to LTTE. If he became the president. Thank god we have intellectuals in Sri Lanka

Post subject: Politics Sri Lankan Style!
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:20 pm 
Politics Sri Lankan Style!
Bandaranaike circus

Sri Lankan Cabinet may have entered the Guinness book of records with the largest cabinet in the world. But Bandaranaike’s antics will entitle him to his own dubious distinction tomorrow when he would have been sworn in as a minister, been sacked from his portfolio and then sworn in again for the same post, all within twenty one days.
Read More

Board index » General Topics » Sri Lanka Latest News