Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Arts & Entertainment » Films & TV

Post subject: Ranjan Ramanayake's 'One Shot' to be released on May 19
 Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:34 pm 
Will 'One Shot' be banned?

DM/ 16 MAY2005 By Ramesh Uvais

The much-hyped, controversial Sinhala movie 'One Shot' is slotted for release from Thursday, May 19 in the EAP circuit and the film's director Ranjan Ramanayake says he hopes the film would mark a new culture in the local cinema industry.

Anarkalli and Nilanthi

"One shot might be seen as a story which highlights the political career of a present day politician and this might cause some stir within the political circles. In fact, it seems that the film trailer has disturbed some parties who tried to create a major scene in a subtle manner," says Ranjan whose previous film 'Parliament Jokes' created an all time revenue record shattering box office records.

One Shot, the first cinemascope Sinhala film with DTS sound, is produced by Ms. Soma Edirisinghe on behalf of EAP films.

Speaking to Daily Mirror Life, Ranjan further says," One shot deals with the subject of corruption that has seeped into every level in society. I am sure every Sri Lankan will identify with the subject since it deals with the apathy of the administration towards basic norms," says the young director who is portrayed as a superman in his film.

The outspoken Ranjan of course sounds fully charged and is looking forward to a grand welcome by the audience.

"This is probably the first film to openly discuss corruption that is routed by political thuggery. The dialogues are also controversial and might surely upset the feelings of some, yet as a filmmaker I strongly believe that we should have freedom to express ourselves objectively. There is no point in whitewashing any person or political party," says the star who had made headlines due to his outspoken qualities.

Just the other day, Ranjan sparked headlines recently over a charge which he denies and also was acquitted recently.

"Since you are asking me this question I must tell you that I feel it was a trap laid for me by some parties with vested interests to block the release of this controversial film and also to tarnish my image. The truth however was exposed and I am glad that whoever tried to frame me had to eat humble pie," he says.

Commenting on his film he was also happy that the Censor Board approved the film with minimal cuts.

"This is a positive trend. As filmmakers I believe this should be the attitude. Cinema is a powerful media and what's wrong if we try to expose corruption through this media with the sole intention of cleansing our society which is today totally dependent on politics and politicians. In other countries there is this freedom of expression and filmmakers make good use of it. I hope this trend should be introduced here too," says Ranjan whose name is perhaps the longest among our stars.

Sadda Vidda Rajapakse Palanga Pathira Ambakumarage Ranjan Leo Sylvester Alponsu - this is Ranjan's full name. But from where did he get his 'Ramanayake' surname which he now uses.

That is an interesting story. Ranjan who first showed up in a group scene in 'Christhu Charithaya', played a lead role in Somaratne Ramanayake's 'Jaya Kothanada' as an actor and also a singer.

He added 'Ramanayake' to his name as a mark of respect to the filmmaker who first opened him the doors in the filmworld as a lead actor.

As a singer the Negombo Maris Stella College old boy has sung in several films including Jaya Kothenada, Naralowa Holman, Love in Bangkok and others. His song 'Ran Samanala Joduwa Wage' was a hit among other songs.

As an actor he made his presence felt in several films like Mewila Penevi Rupe Hade, Awaragira, Duwata Mawaka Misa, Nahu Barya, Rosa Wasanthe and Yakada Pihatu. His name was last year nominated for the best actor's slot for his role in Yakada Pihatu.

Apart from these films he also acted in other popular films like Obatai Priye Adare, Durga, Dese Mal Pipila, Chandi Rejina, Sinhayangeth Sinhaya, Rajek Wage Puthek, Okkoma Hondatai, Hello My Darling, Surayo Wedakarayo, Re Deniel Dawal Migel, Pissu Trible and other films.

As a small screen star Ranjan acted in a few tele dramas including Baghya and his next film project would be ‘Lion’ which will be directed by Ranjan himself.

"I have struggled to reach this point as an actor and director today and I am not there to compete with anyone. But whatever I do, I'll give my best shot. If politics in the country affects our lives directly, what's wrong in making films on such themes," asks Ranjan who has acted and directed "One Shot" apart from writing its script, dialogues and choreographing the dance sequences. The high budget film also has some terrifying stunt scenes and a scene where a bus explodes and after it collides with a moving train.

Given the controversial aspects in 'One Shot' will the film be shot down after release

"Anything can happen in a country like ours. I don't see why it should happen and let's hope for the best," says a smiling Ranjan.

One shot credits
Producer: Soma Edirisnghe
Direction, Story, Dialogue, Dance and Costume Designs: Ranjan Ramanayake
Camera: Jayanath Gunawardana
Music: Somapala Ratnayake
Edtor: Ravindra Guruge
Art: Damith Nandalal
Assistant Directors: Donald Jayantha, Priyantha Pathirage
Make up: Imal Shanaka Peiris, Suneth Nandalal
Production Executive: Nihal Sanjaya
Production Manager: Ashoka Ariyaratne
Cast: Ranjan Ramanayake, Anarkalli Aakarsha, Ravindra Randeniya, Anoja Weerasinghe, Kanchana Mendis, Sriyani Amarasena, Wilson Karu, Rex Kodippili, Menike Attanayake, Anton Jude, Upali Keerthisena, Susantha Chandramali, Nilanthi Dias, Anusha Damayanthi and several popular stars.

Board index » Arts & Entertainment » Films & TV